Career in Numbers
1 lifetime achievement award
2 companies founded
3 books written
6 book forwards written
15 countries lectured in
22 research articles written
30 conference presentations given
40 business partners
48 cities lectured in
50 years of experience
75+ live seminars taught
90+ commercial products developed
100+ blog posts written
300+ in class teaching days
500+ essential oils owned
800+ aromatherapy and health related books owned
1,000 biggest crowd addressed
4,000+ slides created and presented
9,000+ total people addressed
10,000+ hours teaching and presenting
15,000+ research papers read
50,000+ followers on Facebook
100,000+ hours worked in the field of aromatherapy
800,000+ words written in books
1,000,000+ words written about essential oils
“Robert is an esteemed colleague recognized in our aromatherapy industry as the leader and world expert. I have worked closely with Robert on many levels including co-ordinating his seminars in Australia and Asia. Robert holds a knowledge base that far exceeds most people’s comprehension. He is grounded, extremely detail orientated, fun and a pleasure to work with.”
Jennifer Jefferies, Managing Director, Jennifer Jefferies International.
Australia’s leading Work Life Balance Expert
Robert Tisserand is an international speaker, educator and consultant on the science and benefits of essential oils and their safe and effective application. In the last few years he has inspired live audiences in the UK, USA, Canada, Australia, Brazil, Czech Republic, China, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Korea, & Japan on topics ranging from the Therapeutic Foundations of Essential Oils, to detailed examinations of the relation of essential oils and the skin.
Instrumental in bringing widespread professional and public recognition to aromatherapy, he wrote one of the first books to bring awareness to aromatherapy in 1977: The Art of Aromatherapy. In 1974 he established The Aromatic Oil Company (a predecessor of Tisserand Aromatherapy, currently part of First Natural Brands) and in 1988 he founded The Tisserand Institute in London, setting new standards for vocational aromatherapy education. That same year he launched The International Journal of Aromatherapy, which he published and edited until 2000. In the 1990s, Robert orchestrated three international AROMA conferences at British Universities, each attracting some 300 attendees.
He is most recently author of the second edition of Essential Oil Safety published by Elsevier, a book that sets industry standards for the safe use of essential oils, and in 2015 relaunched The Tisserand Institute, as a one of a kind online education portal for fact-based education on the potency and potential of essential oils for human well-being.
Today Robert lives in the United States where he continues to follow his passion for aromatherapy by working as an independent industry expert consulting to practitioners, colleges and corporations around the world and by sharing his knowledge through his blog, live events and online training) at the Tisserand Institute.
Robert has 40 years of experience in essential oil blending and aromatherapy product development including creating “functional fragrances” for products that combine perfumery principles with the therapeutic, hygienic, and dermatological properties of essential oils. He is familiar with the foundations of oriental medicine, and Western herbal and naturopathic traditions, with their emphasis on cleansing, protecting, strengthening immune function and aiding natural healing processes.
When not consulting or traveling for events, you might find Robert among his collection of over 500 essential oils, absolutes and CO2 extracts at home, and his large library of reference materials, tracking new research in peer-reviewed journals, and pursuing his life-long goal of creating science-based awareness of the transformative, natural power of essential oils.
Robert is on the International Advisory Board of Complementary Therapies in Clinical Practice, and is a member of the Natural Perfumers Guild. In recognition of his pioneering work, he has been awarded Honorary Lifetime Membership of the International Federation of Aromatherapists, the International Federation of Professional Aromatherapists, and the Alliance of International Aromatherapists (AIA). He was privileged to receive a Lifetime Achievement Award from the AIA in Denver in 2007, and is a member of the AIA Research Committee.
- 2014 Essential Oil Safety Second Edition (with Rodney Young)
- 1995 Essential Oil Safety (with Tony Balazs)
Subsequently published in Japanese
- 1987 Aromatherapy for Everyone (USA: Aromatherapy to Heal & Tend the Body) (No longer in print.)
Subsequently published in Bulgarian, German, Hebrew and Japanese
- 1985 The Essential Oil Safety Data Manual (no longer in print)
Subsequently published in Japanese
- 1977 The Art of Aromatherapy
Subsequently published in Bulgarian, Czech, Dutch, German, Hebrew, Italian, Japanese, Portuguese, Rumanian and Spanish (many editions now out of print)
- 1988 Essential Oils as Psychotherapeutic Agents
In: Perfumery: The Psychology and Biology of Fragrance S. Van Toller and G Dodd (eds)
- 1980 Aromatherapy
In: Alternative Medicine, Dr Andrew Stanway
- 1978 Aromatherapy
In: A Visual Encyclopedia of Unconventional Medicine, Ann Hill (ed)
- 1993 Gattefossé’s Aromatherapy (translation of: Aromathérapie: Les Huiles Essentielles, Hormones Végétales, René-Maurice Gattefossé, 1937)
- 1982 The Practice of Aromatherapy, Dr Jean Valnet
- 1988-1999 The International Journal of Aromatherapy
- 2006 Aromadermatology, Janetta Bensouilah & Philippa Buck
- 2005 Aromatherapy Massage For You, Jennie Harding
- 2003 The Chemistry of Aromatherapeutic Oils, E. Joy Bowles
- 2002 Essential Chemistry for Safe Aromatherapy, Sue Clarke
- 1996 Aromatherapy for Healing the Spirit, Gabriel Mojay
- 1989 Magical Aromatherapy, Scott Cunningham
- 2007 Neither lavender oil nor tea tree oil can be linked to breast growth in young boys. Posted on three websites: ATC, NPG, NAHA.
- 1998 German Chamomile Oil IJA 9:1
- 1997 Essential Oil Safety III IJA 8:1
- 1996 Essential Oil Safety II IJA 7:4
- 1996 Essential Oil Safety I IJA 7:3
- 1994 Nutmeg Oil – A Review IJA 6:4
- 1994 Aromatherapy as Mind-Body MedicineIJA 6:3
- 1993 Aromatherapy Today I IJA 5:3
- 1994 Turmeric Oil IJA 6:1
- 1992 May Chang Oil IJA 4:3
- 1992 Success With Stress IJA 4:2
- 1992 Mint Family Matters IJA 4:1
- 1989 Spikenard Oil IJA 2:3
- 1989 Myalgic Encephalomyelitis IJA 2:2
- 1988 Garlic and its Essential Oil IJA 1:3
- 1988 Aromatherapy on the Wards IJA 1:2
- 1988 Australian Tea Tree Oil IJA 1:1
- 1988/9 Cancer – A Holistic Overview IJA 1:4 + 2:1
- 1988/9 Essential Oil Therapy for Cancer IJA 1:4 + 2:1
- 1988/9 In Praise of Melissa IJA 1:4 + 2:1
- 1992/3 Rene-Maurice Gattefossé IJA 4:4
- 1993/4 Aromatherapy Today II IJA 5:4
IJA: International Journal of Aromatherapy (no longer in print)
- 1981-1997 (one day seminar twice each year, so 34 times) Introduction To Aromatherapy, London, UK
- 1983-1998 Tisserand Aromatherapy Diploma Course (300 in-class hours, 400 home study hours) London UK. Approximately 1,000 students graduated in total over the period.
- 1989-1994 Also taught/lectured in Belfast, Boca Raton, Boulder, Santa Fe, New York, Rotterdam, Oslo and Stockholm
- September 3: Essential Oil Chemistry & Pharmacology: Beyond Functional Groups. London, UK
- November 11/12: The Pharmacology of Essential Oils. Prague, Czech Republic.
- April 10/11: Essential Oil Chemistry & Pharmacology: The Actions of Aromatic Compounds in the Body. Boulder, Colorado, USA
- June 25: Introduction to Essential Oils. Twin Falls, Utah, USA
- June 13/14: Essential Oil Chemistry & Pharmacology: The Actions of Aromatic Compounds in the Body. London, UK
- April 5/6: Essential Oils in Skin Care. Santa Barbara, USA
- April 26/27: Clinical Safety in Aromatherapy: The Way Forward. Prague, Czech Republic
- July 26/27: Clinical Safety in Aromatherapy: The Way Forward. Beijing, China
- August 2/3: Clinical Safety in Aromatherapy: The Way Forward. Shanghai, China
- August 23/24 Essential Oils in Skin Care. New York NY, USA
- September 27/28: Essential Oils in Skin Care. Petaluma, USA
- October 18/19: Essential Oils in Skin Care. Sao Paulo, Brazil
- November 8: 2014 Essential Oil Kinetics and their Consequences. Niagara Falls, Canada
- February 9/10: Essential Oils & Chronic Disease. Santa Cruz CA, USA
- June 22/23: Essential Oils in Skin Care. Point Richmond CA, USA
- August 24/25 Essential Oils in Skin Care. New York NY, USA
- March 31/April 1: Essential Oils in Skin Care. Point Richmond CA, USA
- May 12/13: Aromatherapy Research & the Synergy of Constituents. London, UK
- October 27/28: Essential Oils in Skin Care. Point Richmond CA, USA
- November 17: Essential Oil Bioactivity: Molecules of Communication. Hong Kong
- November 18: Taking the Ache Out of Aging. Hong Kong
- April 2/3: Published Research & Clinical Practice. Sidney BC, Canada
- September 3/4: Aromatherapy Research & the Synergy of Constituents. Ithaca NY, USA
- October 15/16: Aromatherapy Research & the Synergy of Constituents. Miami FL, USA
- November 19/20: How to Harness the Healing Power of Essential oils. Beijing, China
- November 25: Antioxidant Protection with Essential Oils. Seoul, Korea
- May 15: Essential Oil Therapeutics. San Diego CA, USA
- May 22/23: Essential Oil Therapeutics. Hopkins MN, USA
- July 24/25: Essential Oil Therapeutics. Taipei, Taiwan
- August 27/28: Aromatherapy: Fact & Fiction. Pheonix AZ, USA
- September 20: Protection & Communication. Tokyo, Japan
- October 11: The Evidence Base for Clinical Aromatherapy. Brisbane, Australia
- October 16: The Evidence Base for Clinical Aromatherapy. Sydney, Australia
- October 17: The Evidence Base for Clinical Aromatherapy. Melbourne, Australia
- 2015 Therapeutic Foundations of Essential Oils (live recorded in London, 15 videos)
- 2014 Complete Skin Series (9 videos w/handouts and citations)
Lectures & conference presentations
- 2017 Essential Oils as Active Ingredients. The Society of Cosmetic Scientists: Naturals in Cosmetic Science. London, UK.
- 2017 Essential Oils Safety: Avoiding Adverse Skin Reactions. International Federation of Professional Aromatherapists: IFPAroma 2017. London, UK.
- 2016 The Power of Dilution, Safety and Efficacy in Applying Essential Oils to the Skin. The World of Aromatherapy VIII, Beyond Aromatics, Salt Lake City, USA.
- 2015 Carcinogens, Anticarcinogens & Dose-Related Effects in Essential Oils. 8th International Aromatherapy Conference on Therapeutic Uses of Essential Oils, San Francisco, USA
- 2014 Aromatherapy, A Personal History. 1st International Symposium of Aromatherapy and Wellbeing, Sao Paulo, Brazil
- 2013 Clinical Safety in Aromatherapy: the Way Forward. Alliance of International Aromatherapists Conference, Miami, USA
- 2013 Essential Oils: Safety Scares and Myths. Alliance of International Aromatherapists Conference, Miami, USA
- 2011 Dispelling Essential Oil Myths. Handcrafted Soapmakers Guild Conference Miami, USA
- 2010 The Safe and Effective Use of Essential Oils in Soap. Handcrafted Soapmakers Guild Conference Denver, USA
- 2010 Forty Years of Aromatherapy Evolution. International Federation of Aromatherapists Conference, Tokyo, Japan
- 2010 Oxidative Processes and Essential Oils. International Federation of Aromatherapists Conference, Tokyo, Japan
- 2010 Safety and Aromatic Medicine. International Aromatherapy & Aromatic Medicine Association Conference, Brisbane, Australia
- 2008 The Multi-functionality of Essential Oil Blends. The Health Show, London, UK
- 2008 The Evidence for Safe & Effective Essential Oil Therapy. The Health Show London, UK
- 2007 Challenges Facing Aromatherapy: Proof of Safety. Alliance of International Aromatherapists Conference, Denver, USA
- 1996 Mind-Body Medicine: Aromatherapy for the 21st Century. Tokyo, Japan
- 1996 The Current Status of Aromatherapy in Great Britain and its Future. Tokyo, Japan
- 1996 The Value of Aromatherapy in Modern Society. Atami, Japan
- 1995 New Perspectives on Essential Oil Safety. Aroma ’95 Conference, Guildford, UK
- 1994 An Overview of Aromatherapy Today. Vienna, Austria
- 1993 Aromatherapy Today. Aroma ’93 Conference, Brighton, UK
- 1990 Three presentations, American Aromatherapy Association Conference, Santa Monica, USA
- 1989 Herbal conference (don’t remember name), Baton Rouge, USA
- 1989 Massage Meets Botanical Medicine. American Massage Therapy Association Conference, Toronto, Canada
- 1989 Aromatherapy for Massage Therapists. American Massage Therapy Association, Detroit, USA
- 1988 Three presentations at the American Aromatherapy Association Conference, San Francisco, USA
- 1988 Essential Oils as Medicines, The Health Show, London, UK
- 1986 Essential Oils as Psychotherapeutic Agents, Psychology of Perfumery Conference, Warwick, UK
- 1984 Healing with Essential Oils, The Herb Society, London, UK
- 1977 Aromatherapy, London & Counties Society of Physiologists, Blackpool, UK
- Alliance of International Aromatherapists Research Committee member (2010 – 2015)
- Complementary Therapies in Clinical Practice, Editorial Advisory Board member (2003 – present)
- International Journal of Professional Holistic Aromatherapy, Editorial Advisory Board member (2013 – present)
- Natural Perfumer’s Guild, associate member (2006 – present)
- Here’s Health Magazine, Editorial Consultant (1996 – 2005)
- 2014 The Tisserand Institute (online)
- 1988 The Tisserand Institute (London)
- 1988 The International Journal of Aromatherapy (now The International Journal of Essential Oil Therapeutics)
- 1974 The Aromatic Oil Company (now Tisserand Aromatherapy)
- 1983 The Association of Tisserand Aromatherapists
- 1984 The International Federation of Aromatherapists
- 1991 The Aromatherapy Organizations Council
- 1993 Aroma ’93 at Sussex University
- 1995 Aroma ’95 at Guildford University
- 1997 Aroma ’97 at Warwick University
- 1977-1997 Ten radio interviews, eight TV interviews.
- 1977-present Estimated over 200 newspaper/magazine articles on aromatherapy featuring RT
Some quotes from way back!
It is only in the last decade that aromatherapy has begun to make progress in Britain, largely through the efforts of Robert Tisserand.
– The Alternative Health Guide 1983
Britain now has its own well-established tradition of lay aromatherapists. One of the most dedicated is Robert Tisserand, whose book The Art of Aromatherapy has been the standard reference work since it was published in 1977.
– Beauty & Health in Vogue Spring/Summer 1984
Robert Tisserand is recognized as one of the world’s leading experts in his particular field of medicine.
– Evening Argus 1985
Robert Tisserand, 42, set up his aromatherapy practice in 1969. Today, he is the United Kingdom market leader with a flourishing manufacturing side, as well as teaching aromatherapy and massage.
– Daily Mail July 27 1992
Top 8 Blog Posts
Have you visited Robert’s Tisserand Insitute?
Robert and his hand-selected group of contributors publish the latest in the science and the effective, safe and sustainable use of essential oils in all aspects of aromatherapy at The Tisserand Institute.